Horizon Academy offers on-site one-on-one tutoring sessions using the Orton-Gillingham approach. Orton-Gillingham is an instructional approach intended primarily for use with persons who have difficulty with reading, spelling, and writing of the sort associated with dyslexia and other language-based learning disabilities. This multi-sensory approach is diagnostic, prescriptive, systematic, structured and personalized to meet the needs of the learner. Orton-Gillingham tutors have been trained in the approach by a Fellow from the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators and continue to work under her guidance to ensure the quality of service provided.
45-minute sessions can be scheduled 2-4 times a week.
**Testing documentation with diagnoses of specific learning disability in reading and writing and/or dyslexia required.
The charge per 45-minute session is $60. Fees are paid in advance at the beginning of each month. Checks are made out to Horizon Academy. Families are charged for cancelled sessions unless the teacher is notified 24 hours in advance.
To fill out an application, follow these easy steps:
- Click on the link below and create an account.
- Log-in using the user name and password you’ve created.
- Click “Create New Student Application”
- Complete the information on the form
- Select “2017-2018 Tutoring” from the dropdown box that appears
- Follow the provided instructions to complete the application
- A $25 application fee must be sent along with your child’s application.