Online Tutoring through Horizon Academy
Why choose the Orton-Gillingham approach?
The Orton-Gillingham (O-G) approach has withstood the test of time in meeting the needs of dyslexic learners. Orton-Gillingham is not a program with scripted lessons and materials; instead, trained and certified O-G practitioners create individualized lessons based on a student’s specific learning needs. O-G is emotionally sound, multisensory, structured and sequential, cumulative, diagnostic and prescriptive. Read more about the Orton-Gillingham Academy principles.
Why choose Horizon Academy Learning Center?
- All Horizon Academy interventionists are trained and certified by the Orton-Gillingham Academy
- Horizon Academy instructors are immersed in an environment that supports diagnostic, prescriptive, multisensory, language-based instruction for students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Horizon Academy instructors receive ongoing professional development in language and literacy intervention from highly trained coaches.
Orton-Gillingham Online Tutoring Details
- Online tutoring is designed for students with a primary diagnosis of dyslexia
- Orton-Gillingham tutoring sessions are online, available Monday-Friday, and can take place in many time zones. Availability is limited.
- Sessions are a minimum of two days a week on nonconsecutive days (Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays), or three days per week on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays.
- Sessions are 50 minutes at a rate of $80 per session
- Billed monthly at the beginning of each month (prepaid)
- Can be 30 minutes for Kindergarten or 1st Grade if necessary at a rate of $60 per session
- Prequalification is necessary – please fill out an INTAKE FORM/LINK and we will reach out to you promptly
We believe in parent partnership and we understand the investment parents are making. For this reason, we value frequent communication and transparency regarding student progress and challenges. Not all students are good candidates for online learning. After the first 4 weeks of tutoring, there will be a mandatory parent meeting to discuss areas for growth and intervention priorities. We reserve the right to discontinue intervention services if we find that your student is not a good fit for online learning.
Materials Required for O-G Tutoring
- Access to a computer with fast and reliable internet connection
- A whiteboard, dry-erase marker, and dry eraser
- A distraction-free space with a comfortable desk/chair
- Optional, preferred: an iPad with the Zoom app downloaded
- 6 small manipulative pieces (blocks, dragon tears, plastic or foam tiles)